Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Not Ready

What does she mean my body isn't ready for training yet?

I thought to myself as tears welled up in my eyes.  Sitting in the truck after my first training in almost three years.  It was brutal.  My feelings ran from anger to sadness to denial.  One thing I did know is that no matter what, from the beginning, Kimberly ALWAYS gave it to me straight.

She wasn't one of those trainers that would just take your money and train you how you wanted to be trained. She actually worked for her clients.  Even when my funds were low, she trained me.  Always trying to figure out why you hit a plateau, whether it was muscle gain, fat loss, or a dead stand still for weeks on a particular meal plan.  She would constantly adjust and have "a-ha' moments.  Getting to know her client's bodies better than they did, but what's better is she would teach you why and how after she figured it out.

Years ago she had an a-ha moment with me.  I had always been pushing the same weight, no matter what, I just couldn't gain that extra strength to move past my level.  Same weight, same amount of reps for days. We had just figured out that I had exercised induced asthma, so I was hoping somehow gaining control of that would fix things.  But we were starting a new session when she told me we were going to try something new.

She bounced into the room when she was excited about something, eager to tell me what it was.
"We're going to try power lifting today."
I perked up.  I knew what it power lifting was and if it meant not doing push-up burpees I was game.  After all I wanted muscle.  I wanted definition in my muscles, everywhere.

She proceeded to teach me how to do clean and presses, It was the first time I actually felt powerful.  Like I was actually achieving my goal.  Free weights were my thing.

So to hear that my body wasn't ready for training was devastating.  How could I just not jump back into it? It made sense though.  After I broke my ankle I couldn't walk or drive for 6 months.  My whole right leg went into atrophy.

My upper body has always been hell.  My occupation has me hunched over a desk all day, I was always drawing, or typing, or...something over a desk.  Never standing or stretching.  My back and shoulder muscles were completely knotted, come to find out.  I couldn't even do an arnold press.  The only thing I seemed to do well was the growler sled.  That's my new favorite.

But we had a plan.  She didn't want to waste my money on training with her, instead she's sending me to a corrective exercise therapist, who works at the same gym.  Two or three times with her, and I should be ready to start training.  In the mean time, I'm O.K. to do yoga and start back up on the Whole 30 Paleo meal plan, which is a detox, anti-inflammatory meal plan.  I did it over the summer and lost 14 pounds in a month and a half.

No more sugar. I thought to myself pulling out of the parking lot.  How was I going to eat my emotions now?



Well...shit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to try Kimberly and Andrew at Alpha Elite?  No matter where you are, they offer online training as well!  https://www.facebook.com/AlphaElite

No comments:

Post a Comment