Saturday, February 22, 2014

Working Out....again....

I woke up excited.  Today was the day that I was going to see my trainer for the first time in almost three years.  I knew I had my work cut out for me.  I remember the very first time I met her, almost 5 years ago at a franchise gym.  I had been there for year, taking yoga and weight training classes and incorrectly using the machines, taking advantage of the 'free' once a month training/evaluation sessions they gave you with a personal trainer.  My trainer was a gal probably 20 years younger than me, and was in desperate need of  a Proactive treatment.

I had lost about 10lbs in that year and was pretty proud of myself.  Until I saw a new trainer in the gym.

Well...shit..

I had thought to myself.  She was EXACTLY what I wanted to look like. 


Angels sang in my head as I had a revelation.  She was in the middle of a training session with a woman on the squat machine but I didn't care.  I walked right up and interrupted.
"Hi, I'm Marcy."  I said.  Her name was Kimberly.  "I was wondering if you provide those free personal training sessions they offer here once a month."
She told me about a new personal training class that she was hired to lead, and offered me a free class.  

My thoughts raced through the next year as I was introduced to the kettlebell (love), burpees (HATE), power lifting (my passion) and the TRX system (I now own.)  Kimberly put me on a carb-cycling diet and I enrolled in a fat-burning contest and went from this...


to this..


and this...

....Then, my father-in-law passed away. I didn't think about specific circumstances it was such a hard time in the whole family's life.  But, because I was a stay-at-home mom, I did quit going to the gym five times a week and went to my father-in-law's house instead, everyday, with my 3 year old in tow to get his house in order for a months worth of estate sales. 

About a year later, I was back at the gym with Kimberly privately training me for a few months.  She mainly trained athletes for mud-runs and things like that...which I wasn't interested in.  I wouldn't run unless it was to save my life.  I wanted to be a figure competitor.

Nicole Wilkins.  Current Figure Olympia Champion source

But again, I looked like this...



Kimberly had been in a figure competition before and looked reluctant.  After all, she knew what it took. Hard training, stiff criticism, depletion that left you more than bitchy and body that was left in an almost torturous state.  But she agreed. I was SO happy I told everyone at Thanksgiving dinner that night while playing pool in 2011 that I was finally going to train towards my goal.  That very night this happened...


Well..shit...

My thoughts quickly turned to surgery and not walking for 6 months, a foot boot that stank and a knee scooter that all the kids stared at when I went to the store, asking their mommies what was wrong with me.  I shook those thoughts out of my head as I got angry at all the people that used the handicapped spaces with their appointed stickers, yet hopped out of their vehicles and skipped to the store.  Not to mention all the people who would 'rather' use a scooter than 'walk' even though they could...as I had to wait for one to become available.  All the assholes that would cut in front of a person in a scooter just to get down that aisle in front of you were enormous in numbers.

Pricks.

I couldn't think anymore about it.  I had come so close to HALF of what I wanted to be and lost it.  I shook it out of my mind and got dressed for my new job.  The first full time job I had in six years.  I loved it.  It kept me busy and was a place of my own.  I got to dress in clothes that resembled real people clothes and not cut off shorts and flip flops.

But as I looked across the room, I glanced at my gym equipment in the corner gathering dust.  My treadmill, kettle bell, TRX system, one 30 lb dumbbell (where was the other one anyway?) two-5lb dumbbells and two 10lb leg weights that I'd attach to anything to add extra weight.  My thoughts ran to everything else I owned, a fake bowflex in the garage, a foam roller, an exercise ball and an old barbell that belonged to my husband which without weight, probably weighed 30 lbs itself.

Sure, according to some people (my husband,) I had all the equipment I could ever need to achieve what I wanted.  After all, I had been through training and knew what to do, right?  But for me, it was more than that.  I needed an unbiased cheerleader that would hold me accountable and give it to me straight.  And Kimberly held nothing back.

I worked through the day excited yet apprehensive.  I had never worked out at night before.  Did I eat enough energy?  Did I drink enough water?  Did I take my asthma medication?  Was my husband going to pick up my daughter so I could make it across town to where the new training gym was on time?  I had packed my gym clothes, did I pack a piggy tail?  Was I going to throw up after 15 minutes of training? Would the pattern on my panties show through my new gym pants when I did squats?



At 5:00, I changed into my gym clothes and headed out the door to the truck.  I blasted old 80's heavy metal to get me into the workout mood.  I thought I knew what was in store for me, I had been through it all right?

I was completely wrong.




No comments:

Post a Comment